Hailed as the ‘must have’ range by A-list celebrities, the world renowned Proactiv Solution acne treatment is now available in the UK. It’s been the Best Selling Anti-Blemish & Spot Treatment System in the US for several years having been featured on TV and celebrity endorsements from stars like Justin Bieber.
In this Proactiv UK review, we’ll look at just how effective this acne treatment is and if it’s even the same product at the one sold in the US.
What is the Proactiv Solution?
The original Proactiv Solution was developed by leading dermatologists Katie Roden and Kathy Fields in 1995, using a 3 step system of ingredients to prevent acne. We have seen a growing trend in this multi-step approach to acne with dermatologists understanding that a single product can not work on it’s own.
The three steps used in the Poactiv UK System are;
Proactiv Renewing Cleanser 120ml
This mild formula is designed to gently cleanses while tiny beads exfoliate skin cells to help unclog pores by removing dirt and impurities to reveal clearer skin.
- Tiny exfoliating grains smooth away dead skin cells which can clog your pores
- Salicylic Acid penetrates deep into the pores to remove existing impurities
- Uses tea leaf extracts and aloe, both known to be effective to gently cleanse skin
Like many acne treatments, Proactiv uses Salicylic Acid as the main active ingredient in the cleanser to open clogged pores and neutralise bacteria within, preventing pores from clogging up again and help prevent new blemishes from forming. It can leave the skin feeling dry in areas where it’s not required so should a small amount of cleanser should be be gently massaged onto dampened skin for just one to two minutes, twice daily.
Proactiv Revitalising Toner 120ml
- Gentle alcohol-free toner helps balance skin tone and lifts away dead skin cells
- Includes Witch hazel as an natural anti-oxidant and astringent, to soothe the skin, help clear blemishes & surface skin oils
- Contains Portulaca Oleracea extract (Pigweed) which is often found in traditional Chinese medicine to treat infections
- Chamomile Extract – This botanical extract is known for its soothing properties
- Salicylic Acid is again used in this toner to remove impurities
This Proactiv toner contains some good natural ingredients but it does also contain Sodium Hydroxide which is better known in the home as a drain cleaning agent or paint stripper. Used to neutralise acids, Sodium Hydroxide can cause skin irritation or even burns so should be used with caution.
Proactiv Repairing Treatment 60ml
This specially formulated, light lotion penetrates your skin to help clear blemishes and to prevent further breakouts. With Rosemary, Chamomilla and Aloe, this skin repair treatment is designed to soothe the skin after it’s daily clean. It does contain more Salicylic acid to clear pores
Does Proactiv contain Benzoyl Peroxide?
This is an important question in our Proactiv UK Review since the best selling product in the US DOES contain Benzoyl Peroxide as it’s well known as one of the most effective ingedients to fight acne.
Benzoyl peroxide, breaks down on contact with your skin to form oxygen that helps kill the bacteria that contributes to acne while Benzoic acid causes skin to peel and dry, exfoliating out the plugs of dead skin. The problem for Proactiv is that Benzoyl Peroxide is banned throughout Europe which means that although similar, the new product on sale in the UK is not the same.
Proactiv Solution bad Points
- Proactiv Solution will not help with existing scars
- Not suitable for nodular or cystic acne, Proactiv is formulated for mild to moderate acne
- Not the same product as the best selling acne treatment in the US
Proactiv Acne Review Verdict
The fact that Benzoyl Peroxide is banned in UK and Europe has forced Proactiv to substitute the ingredient for Salicylic Acid. This change makes the product unproven. Although Salicylic acid is a good peeling agent, it’s gentler and lacks the oxygen to help kill acne bacteria. Both are both excellent acne fighters and Salicylic acid is used to great effect by Clear Skin Max and other acne treatments.
If you were hoping to buy the best selling acne treatment used by millions in the US then you should be aware that although made by the same company, it’s far from the same Proactiv Solution.
Have you tried Clear Skin Max?
This long term cure for acne uses 6 products containing only natural ingredients. Read our Clear Skin Max review to find out why it's our #1 rated acne treatment.Read the review